Thursday, January 5, 2012

Working Out a New Way

Since January 1, I've been getting a little bit of exercise each day.  Whether it's walking 2 miles with my husband around the neighborhood, or walking to the park and playing with a bunch of 11 year olds, I've felt good about the aerobic workout, and the muscle stretching.

Today I took down the outside Christmas lights.  I couldn't ignore the beautiful day -- record-setting temps in the 60s on the 5th of January!  So I went out and climbed, reached, stretched, wound, wound, wound, and bent.  I'm exhausted!  I was out there an hour and a half, moving constantly.  THAT was a workout.  And I am so, so glad that this chore didn't need to be done in 20-degrees of blowing cold this year!


When I consider every chore an opportunity to get exercise, it changes my mindset.  The drudgery is replaced by excitement.  The slowness of the task is replaced by accomplishment!  And I feel my muscles working, feel the air going in and out.  My cheeks get rosy in a good way.

Because I'm getting exercise, I'm eating less, and craving less.  I'm able to concentrate better, keep moving longer into the evening, and sleep more soundly.  I'm not sure I've lost any weight yet, though.  And it will happen.  It's only been 5 days.


The warm weather sure helps!  I like to walk, and that works for me.  Still, my new "chore workout" holds a lot of promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment